The Child Tax Credit & Additional Child Tax Credit
One of the most beneficial and popular federal tax credits is the Child Tax Credit. This is a nonrefundable tax credit but it is worth up to $1,000 per qualifying child.
Who is Considered a Qualifying Child?
- Under the age of 17 at the end of the year
- Has resided with you for more than half of the year
- Is your dependent on your federal taxes
- Is a US citizen and has a valid SSN
- Is a relative such as your child, sibling, stepchild, stepsibling, foster child, legally adopted child, or a descendant from any of the previously mentioned individuals.
The amount of the credit that you receive is based on your adjusted gross income. Below is the current phase out amounts.
- Single, Head of Household or Qualifying Widow (er) – $75,000
- Married filing separately – $55,000
- Married filing jointly – $110,000
How to Claim the Child Tax Credit
In order to claim this credit; you have to make sure that your child is considered a qualifying child. You also have to list them as a dependent on Form 1040. You will claim the Child Tax Credit on line 51 of Form 1040 or line 33 on Form 1040A.
In order to calculate the amount of the credit you have to fill out the Child Tax Credit Worksheet. This worksheet is automatically provided when you prepare your taxes online.
The Additional Child Tax Credit
The Child Tax Credit is non-refundable, which means it can only be used to bring your tax liability to zero. However, you may be able to receive a portion of the credit that you could not use by claiming the Additional Child Tax Credit.
This tax credit is available so taxpayers can take advantage of the unused portion of the Child Tax Credit. Majority of the time it is equal to the unused portion of the Child Tax Credit up to 15% of your earned income that is more than $3000.
The Additional Child Tax Credit is refundable, which means you will receive the amount awarded in the form of a refund. You claim this credit on line 65 of Form 1040 or line 39 on Form 1040A.
Child Tax Credit – TurboTax Video
Keep in mind, it’s easy to claim the credit if you file with TurboTax Online.